Since 1989, we have been manufacturing Water Swellable SAF™ Soft Yarns, Cords, and Ropes designed for Power, Telecommunication, and Special cables.
Spun Water Swellable Soft Yarns for fiber optic cable: from 20.000Nm (500 Dtx) up to 5.000Nm (2000 Dtx). Ideal for Fiber Optic cables.
- Longitudinal water blocking inside cable conductor
- General water blocking and filling of large gaps
- Helically winding over cable conductor elements
- Water blocking reinforcement around cable’s central members
Water Swellable Soft Yarns
Soft Super Absorbing Fiber (SAF™) is the key component in Water Swellable SAF™ Soft Yarns, which are usually blended with other synthetic fibers such as polyester, nylon, to add strength or additional functionality. The SAF™ content does not shed when the yarns are being cut and spliced for use.
Water Swellable SAF™ Soft Yarns protect Power, Telecommunication and Special cables by rapidly absorbing water at the point of damage. Upon contact with water, the yarn will swell and form an impermeable barrier.
- Rapid water absorption
- Absorbs 200x own weight
- High swelling speed up to 75 ml/g/1st min
- High tensile strength and resistant to operations
- Highly temperature stable
- Easy integration and processing
- Dry diameter from 0.5mm up to 30mm
- Spooling forms: SAF™ Yarns are supplied on cylindrical or cone bobbins
Our range of Water Swellable SAF™ Soft Yarns consists of:
- Spun Water Swellable Soft Yarns for fiber optic cable: from 20.000Nm (500 Dtx) up to 5.000Nm (2000 Dtx). Ideal for Fiber Optic cables.
- Water Swellable Soft Yarns for power cable: from 5.000Nm (2000 Dtx) up to 160Nm (65.000 Dtx). Ideal for Power cables.
Water Swellable SAF™ Soft Yarns are clean and cost-effective solution for power, telecommunication, and special cables waterblocking.
SAF™ Yarns are ideal for smaller vulnerable areas within power and telecommunication cables, where other yarns and tape technologies are often too bulky. As the SAF™ is integrated within the yarn during spinning; there is no dusting issues often associated with powder-coated yarns.
Overall, SAF™ Soft Yarn technology reduces the mess, and associated maintenance costs, that are common when using a “wet”’ compound or loose powder. SAF™ Water Swelling Soft Yarns can provide cost savings when used as the superabsorbent in power and telecommunication cables. The yarns can be wrapped around the core and/or placed along the length to protect the whole cable. This negates the need for multiple water-blocking products, and so less working capital is tied up in stock.
The yarns are lightweight, easy to onward process, and line stops are minimal.
The results of an independent report, published on the Technical Absorbents LTD web, have shown that using SAF™ spun yarns can:
- Reduce water-blocking raw material costs by 35% when used throughout the whole cable;
- Reduce cable weight by circa 90%* compared to using a tape or compound;
- Dramatically reduce logistic and installation costs, e.g. up to 90% can be saved on installations costs compared to having to prepare and install a “wet” filled cable.
*This figure is based on using a SAF™ Spun yarn in the first six layers of a power cable core.